Montier-en-Der, a racing town
Linked to Lac du Der by one of the “green paths”, Montier-en-Der is a country town of 2,200 people. It has been awarded 3 flowers for its floral displays and has a large number of shops and services. It also has some interesting cultural heritage.
Its history dates back to the 7th century, when a monk named Berchaire founded a monastery on the banks of the Voire, in the Der Forest. By the end of the 10th century, the original buildings had disappeared and Abbot Adson decided to build a church. It was consecrated in 998 A.D. The Romanesque nave is outstanding for the purity of its design and its whiteness, contrasting sharply with the Gothic chancel lit by 16th-century stained-glass windows. Other traditional tourist venues are the National Stud set up by a decree from Napoleon in 1806 on the site of the old monastery. The Stud is an excellent example of an equestrian centre and it houses one of the French breeds of draught horse, " the Ardennais".
Although partially destroyed during the Second World War, Montier en Der still has a few superb timbered houses and its corn market (now the Town Hall). Walk across Square Adson and through Montier en Der’s narrow streets – walking is still the best way to visit the town.
Essential appointments for your diary: horse racing at the Hippodrome de la Crouée, the Brewers’ Festival in summer and the International Animal Photography Festival on the 3rd weekend in November.
An interesting fact
Montier-en-Der gets its name from its monastery in the oak forest (Monasterium in Dervo). “Dervos” means “oak” in the language of the Celts.
Office de Tourisme
18 rue de l'Isle
52220 MONTIER EN DER
Phone: +33 (0)3 25 04 69 17
Fax: +33 (0)3 25 04 09 46